Do you know these Christian meditation techniques described in Bible?
Bible discusses some specific meditation techniques similar to Hindu meditation exercises.
Tremble, and do not sin; Meditate in your heart upon your bed, and be still.
Meditation is considered as an alien thing among Christians, but do you know about Christian meditation techniques. Yes, the word “meditation” has been discussed in several stories in Bible. And Bible also discusses about specific meditation techniques similar to Hindu meditation exercises. Here we try to find out if the ancient mindfulness practice is compatible with Bible or not.
There are few interesting Psalms having the words “Meditate” or “Meditation”. For example, in Joshua 1:8, “God orders to meditate for day and night”. Haga (means meditate or ponder) and Sihach (means muse or contemplate) are used for meditation in the Old Testament. These Hebrew words are similar to dwell and peace. In short, we can say that it is a common practice in Christians too.
What are Christian Meditation Techniques?
Christian meditation techniques follow similar pattern to the eastern religious exercises but they have different purpose. Eastern meditation uses mental practices to achieve the emptiness state of mind to be freed from “Maya” (illusion) to get Nirvana or Moksha. On the other hand, a Christian practitioner meditates to communicate with the God or Jesus.
Christian meditation does not use mantra chanting like modern new age era practices; but it follows other practices such as relaxation, music or concentrating their focus. Its main objective is to enter in the kingdom of the God.
How Guided meditation is similar to Christian meditation techniques?
Today we can find dozens of good guided meditation tracks on internet or music shops. The guided meditation helps you to relax and to meditate on a particular thought. This makes you enter into an emptiness state of the mind so that you can focus your attention on the desired thought.
The only difference in eastern meditation and Christian meditation is, that a Bible follower focuses on the words of bible instead of an image or mantra. A simple Christian meditation technique can be described as follow:
- Sit in a quiet and peaceful place.
- Relax your body and mind through breathing or other physical exercises. You may also use yoga poses for this purpose as Padmasan (Lotus Pose), Swastikasan or Shavasana (Corpse Pose).
- Read a line or Paragraph from Bible and close your eyes.
- Concentrate your mind and thoughts on that line. Do not force yourself but let it happen gradually. You may pray also to him.
- Be aware. You may go into the sleep. If you are aware, you will not sleep.
- Feel the presence of God within you to observing you.
- Do this for ten minutes or more time. This practice will help you to what you want to achieve.